Last Updated on October 18, 2022 by Natalie Rabinowitz
The important stuff: Carry-on 3-1-1 Toiletries
In the United States, carry-on toiletry requirements are referred to as the 3-1-1 rule.
3 (more accurately, 3.4 oz) 100 ml of liquids and gels or less per item.
1 transparent plastic bag.
1 bag per person.
- Opt for carry-on toiletries. Each liquid and gel toiletry must be in separate containers measuring up to 100 ml (3.4 oz) or less. Not permitted are large bottles that are half-full and rolled toothpaste tubes.
- One clear transparent zip-top bag (per passenger) measuring up to 15.24 x 22.86 cm (6 x 9 in) and must be able to close completely.
- If you are staying at a hotel, check beforehand to see if they supply items such as shampoo, conditioner, lotions, and razors. Do they have a hairdryer available?
- Buy toiletries upon arrival and try out what the locals use.
- Of course, you can pack your essentials. Hence eco-friendly travel reusable containers made of Silicone or Aluminium to top up your personal favourites.
Carry-on Toiletry Packing Necessities:
- Natural deodorant (Aluminium & Paraben/Paraffin Free).
- Nail file
- Razors (if needed).
- Dr. Bronner’s Everything in One!
- Shampoo/Conditioner (Dry shampoo and soap are all the rage, but I am not a fan).
- Bamboo toothbrush (I opt for the child size as it takes up less room and is more compact).
- Travel-size toothpaste. I opt for Jason Natural as conventional toothpaste is too strong.
- Dental floss
- Small First Aid and sewing kit. If taking it as a carry-on, ditch the scissors.
- Baby wipes.
- Sanitary protection (if needed).
- Light makeup if you use it.
- Condoms. Hey, you never know.
Don’t forget any prescription medications you take, as well as paracetamol (for head and body aches), anti-diarrhoea and heartburn tablets can come in handy as well. Of course, how you pack also depends on where you are travelling to, and most of the time, you can find all the above conveniences at local pharmacies. It is fun to visit local shops and try out local brands.
Kiehl’s offers fabulous Travel size products, found in their gift section Ultra Facial Cleanser is a gentle liquid formula that cleanses without over-drying the skin and is perfect for all skin types matched with Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream, complete all-day hydration for all skin types. Don’t forget your sunscreen, either. Garnier Ambre Solaire Sensitive Anti Ageing Sun Cream SPF50 comes in an ideal travel size, and don’t forgo bringing a hat.
Let’s Talk About Hair
Mine is curly, wavy, frizzy and everything in between. My go-to is the fabulous range from Shea Moisture which offers effective moisturising fairtrade hair products with subtle natural scents. Naturally-derived ingredients and certified organic shea butter.
Dr. Bronner’s Everything in One!
Dr Bronner’s is one of the best products for body wash (including washing your face, hands, hair, shaving, and brushing your teeth) and almost everything imaginable. There are 18 uses for this product! I opt for the Organic Baby Unscented Pure-Castile Liquid Soap, but there are a plethora of Organic and Natural scents to choose from as well as soap bars.
The Magic of Baby Wipes
A must-have necessity is baby wipes. Not just for babies, this multi-purpose product has over 20 uses! Perfect for beauty, toilet, and wiping off your hands. It was a lifesaver when I hiked my first backpacking trip in the Utah/Arizona desert. (Remember to pack out!) I found the many uses baby wipes provided.